Here are the newest links to join the linkHiveFeb 8th
- Forget About Photoshop: 5 More Ways to Stop Using Images in Your Designs – Cherrysave – Images increase download time for end-users and workload for web designers, slowing down the time it takes to fully develop a concept for clients. Furthermore, images can add unneeded clutter and increase search-engine blindness, detracting from the principle of simple web design.
- Knowledge Games – How to apply game thinking to your business challenges
- Understanding CSS – Padding, Positioning and CSS3 « CreativityDen – With the release of CSS3, which is now being used more frequently, I’ve put this little article together for more of a beginner. However you never know, there may be a few tricks you don’t know.
I’m also going to be giving advice on such things as Padding, Margin, Borders and Background Colors, and how to us them effectively.
- Web Designers’ Browser Support Checklist, Web Designers’ Browser Support Checklist : FindMeByIP : what browser am I using, how modern is my web browser, and what’s my IP address? – The table below displays browser support for HTML5 (including Web Forms 2.0) and CSS3 (including CSS3 selectors).
Updated every Friday: follow @deepbluetweets.
- Strategizing Web Content – Writing for the Web | letscounthedays – When it comes to designing a website, content is often overlooked, but why? Very rarely do users browse the web looking for a good design or decent experience. Users come for the content. Not giving them what they want with poorly written content will frustrate users. Not only does it waste their time, but your time as well.
- 0x1fff: 35 Google open-source projects that you probably don’t know – Google is one of the biggest companies supporting OpenSource movement, they released more than 500 open source projects(most of them are samples showing how to use their API). In this article I will try to write about most interesting and free releases from Google, some of them might be abandoned.
- 50 Free UI and Web Design Wireframing Kits, Resources and Source Files – Smashing Magazine – Planning and communication are two key elements in the development of any successful website or application. And that is exactly what the wireframing process offers: a quick and simple method to plan the layout and a cost-effective, time-saving tool to easily communicate your ideas to others. A wireframe typically has the basic elements of a Web page: header, footer, sidebar, maybe even some generated content, which gives you, your clients and colleagues a simple visually oriented layout that illustrates what the structure of the website will be by the end of the project and that serves as the foundation for any future alterations.
This article focuses on actual wireframing tools and standalone applications, as well as resources that you’ll need to build your own wireframe: wireframing kits, browser windows, form elements, grids, Mac OS X elements, mobile elements, which you’ll use in any typical graphics editor such as Photoshop or Illustrator. …Or you could use pen and paper.
- A List Apart: Articles: Unwebbable – It’s time we came to grips with the fact that not every “document” can be a “web page.” Some forms of writing just cannot be expressed in HTML—or they need to be bent and distorted to do so. But for once, XML might actually help.
Here are the newest links to join the linkHiveOct 3rd
These are my links for June 24th through June 25th:
- Print Stylesheets – css-discuss – This document describes some of the issues concerning the use of CSS to reformat Web documents for printing (using the media type "print"). We also discuss those aspects that CSS is not able to control or even influence. We assume a good knowledge of CSS and concentrate on practical issues, given the current deficiencies in browsers in implementing print-related CSS. For more basic tutorials and theory see "Other Sources" below. See also MediaStylesheets for practical media stylesheet strategies.
Two of the most common problems with printing occur when positioning other than static is used (e.g. position: absolute) or when there are floats. See the section below "Suggested strategy for page breaks".
- GIFTS – BEST SELLING PERPETUAL KID ITEMS –
- Social Network Icon Pack · Komodo Media – Introducing 80+ ridiculously rad social networking icons, made by deft-fingered Haitian refugees, not really… but really. I’ve developed over 80 refined, amazing social networking icons for the top networks around. They’re all the rage with you crazy newsk00l intarweb kids. Use them on your blogs. Put them on t-shirts, coffee mugs, your face-space or whatevs.
Here’s whats you get
The Social Network Icon Pack consists of 40+ 16 pixel x 16 pixel icons and 40+ 32 pixel by 32 pixel icons all in 32-bit PNG format in the following flavors:
View on light background • View on dark background
- Languagegeek : Native Languages – Languagegeek is dedicated to the promotion of indigenous languages – primarily those of North America. By providing the tools which speakers, educators, and learners can use to communicate on-line or in print, the realm of computers will no longer be the sole domain of a few global languages. Whether it be e-mails, web pages, or word processing, computers have the potential to be a powerful means to level the playing field among all of the world’s languages.
Languagegeek provides free fonts and free keyboard layouts which try to cover all of the characters (alphabetical letters/Syllabics) necessary for writing Native languages. Syllabics (Algonquian, Athapaskan, Inuit, Cherokee) take centre stage with type faces in new and innovative styles. Several fonts are also available for those languages which use a Roman orthography but require a number of diacritic marks or special characters.
- Cisco ACE Application Control Engine Module – Products & Services – Cisco Systems – The Cisco ACE Application Control Engine Module for Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches and Cisco 7600 Series Routers is a next-generation load-balancing and application-delivery solution. A member of the Cisco family of Data Center 3.0 solutions, the module:
* Helps ensure business continuity by increasing application availability
* Improves business productivity by accelerating application and server performance
* Reduces data center power, space, and cooling needs through a virtualized architecture
* Helps lower operational costs associated with application provisioning and scaling
It achieves these goals through intelligent load-balancing and content-switching technologies integrated with acceleration and security capabilities. A virtualized architecture and role-based administration help you provision and deliver multiple applications from a single module to increase data center scalability.
- Lifehacker – Make the Most of Your Dual Monitors – Autohotkey – Now that you've added another monitor to your computer setup, you've got double the screen real estate to get things done—but are you putting all that space to good use? Whether you want to stretch your desktop wallpaper or taskbar across two monitors or perfectly snap all your windows into place every time, there are a few utilities that can help you make the most of every last pixel of your dual monitors. Let's take a look.
* Get Your Dual Monitor Wallpaper On
* Extend the Taskbar Across Monitors
* Managing Windows
* Desktop Pinups and Overlays
- How To Write a White Paper to Attract Clients – Dumb Little Man – How To Write a White Paper to Attract Clients
Do you have a new idea, business model, product or service? Do you want to get noticed by using a marketing method that might only cost you time? Try writing a white paper to attract people to your door.
Like The Internet…but smaller